Thursday 14 February 2013

Finding one’s muse

Starting top left and going round clockwise: Melpomene, Thalia, Erato and Euterpe.

It has been too wet and muddy to walk in the country, so I walked around the city centre with my camera instead. It was a dreary day and Leicester wasn’t looking its best but I did manage to find my muse. In fact I found a complete set – above the shops on the facade of a building!

The building in question being the General News Room Building on the corner of Belvoir Street and Granby Street. Designed by Joseph Goddard in 1898 and now Grade II listed, it is covered with the most amazing statues and friezes.


I haven’t posted pictures of all nine muses. Unfortunately a couple escaped my lens so I’ll have to go back and try again. They’re rather nice though and deserve to be more widely appreciated.

The General News Room Building, Leicester

And if the muses don’t inspire, how about this menagerie spotted in High Street?




Sadly they don't build ’em like that any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment